With dove hunting season right around the corner, now is the time to start getting your gear in order and making sure you are up to date on all the rules and regulations. Here are a few things to keep in mind as you prepare for dove season:
- Make sure you have the proper license and endorsements: In Texas, you need a hunting license as well as a special Dove Hunting Permit to hunt doves. The permit costs $7 for residents and $68 for non-residents. You also must be Harvest Information Program certified, which means answering questions about the number of birds taken on hunts from last season. The certification should appear on a license below your personal information.
- Know the dates of the season: The North Texas dove season runs from Sept. 1 – Nov. 13, with a special early season from Dec. 17 – Jan. 2. Central Zone season is from Sept. 1 – Oct. 31, and Dec. 17 – Jan. 14. The South Zone season is Sept. 14 – Oct. 31 and Dec. 17 – Jan. 22, with special early season dates of Sept. 2 – 4 and Sept. 9 – 11.
- Know the bag limits: The daily bag limit for doves statewide is 15 birds, with a possession limit of 45. However, during the special early season in the South Zone, the daily bag limit is 15 birds, with no more than two mourning doves and two white-tipped doves.
- Know where you can and cannot hunt: You can only hunt on land that is open to public hunting. That includes state parks, wildlife management areas, and some national forests. You cannot hunt on private property without the landowner’s permission.
- Know the rules about baiting: You cannot hunt doves over a baited area. An area is considered baited if grain, seed, or other food is scattered on the ground to attract doves. An area where bait has been placed is forbidden to hunting for ten days after all the salt, grain, or other food has been removed.
Following these simple tips can help ensure a safe and enjoyable dove season for everyone. At Nine Bar Ranch, we offer a variety of hunting packages that include everything you need for a successful hunt. Gear up for dove season today and book your hunt at Nine Bar Ranch. We can’t wait to see you!